Monday, May 9, 2016

Correcting the Record with an Old Photo

I'm very embarrassed to say that my post yesterday regarding Glenn Braggs contained an inaccuracy. I linked to the Glenn Braggs swing-and-a-miss on which he broke his bat over his own shoulder and said, incorrectly, that he struck out on the at bat. I didn't check myself against the Baseball Reference play-by-play, and there was the mistake. 

I still hadn't realized I'd made a mistake, though, until today. Late yesterday afternoon, I tweeted out the link to the post again, but this time including Glenn Braggs's Twitter handle in the Tweet. Imagine my surprise today when none other than Mr. Glenn Braggs himself corrected my mistake:


Thankfully, as you can see, he was a good sport about it. Trust me when I say that I would not want to be on his wrong side.

Braggs actually holds another distinction: he was the first player to attend the University of Hawaii to make it to the major leagues. He actually had some pretty stiff competition for that distinction, as the second Rainbow Warrior to make it to the major leagues was one of Braggs's collegiate teammates. He's also one of my player collections: Chuck Crim. Perhaps surprisingly, the Brewers had four of the first eight Hawaii alumni to make the major leagues -- the other two being Joey Meyer and Scott Karl.

Apropos of thanking him, here's another Glenn Braggs item. This one is about 28 or 29 years old. When I was in high school, my mom had a job in a photo finishing factory -- one of those "overnight" photo developers. That meant, of course, that the second and third shifts were the busy time of the day for the place, and my mom worked third shift. 

Every once in awhile, she would come home with photos of baseball players. The place where she worked sponsored the Brewers "Photo Night" at the stadium, so that was often the time I'd most likely get some extra copies of photos. 

After the 1987 version of Photo Night, I got a bunch of 5x7s of various Brewers players. One of them was of Glenn Braggs, and I was lucky enough to get him to sign it:




I also got an unsigned 8x10 of him:




I worry about unleashing that photo on the Internet, though, because that look on his face could turn into a meme pretty easily...but if it does, I think someone should notify Mr. Braggs immediately.

Thanks to the wonders of Twitter, I was able to thank Glenn Braggs today personally for signing that autograph about 28 or 29 years ago...after he read a post I wrote and took the time to correct me on it.

Isn't technology a wonderful thing?

Thanks again to Mr. Glenn Braggs for being a good sport, and thank you all for reading. 

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Braggs sounds like a good dude, with a sense of humor. Fun update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UH alum? Gotta add him to the list. I remember the broken bat incident... but didn't remember it was Braggs. My only memory of him was constantly pulling his rookie cards out of 1987 Donruss and Topps packs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wonders of technology! Glad everything got cleared up. Glenn is a good sport.

    ReplyDelete