Saturday, May 23, 2015

Monster #1 Vanquished: The Highlights from the Loose Cards


The biggest benefit to the Bipping effects of the first Monster from Wes a/k/a Jaybarkerfan was that it did make it easier to sort through the cards I needed versus the cards I did not need for my team collections and player collections. Today, though, is the day I will highlight the cards I needed and the cards I found cool.

Let's start with player collection guys.  Like, say, Ryan Braun die-cut X card from Upper Deck:

Or a Yovani Gallardo serial numbered to 99 Finest Refractor:



Now, most of the cards were not serial numbered or inserts.  Most of them were just base cards that I needed, like these Prince Fielders:



Nobody does/did a full bleed card quite as well as Upper Deck. 

A lot of 1990s cards came in that monster, so I added to the Surhoff and Vaughn collections as well:




Even some old-school guys like Jim Gantner and Ted Higuera had cards added to their binders:







Now, it's Iowa Hawkeye time, as in Cal Eldred:




Next, pairing a couple of guys who played together on the 1994 and 1995 Milwaukee Brewers teams, here is a junk wax Bill Wegman that I had only in autographed form before and a Jeff Cirillo 1997 Fleer team checklist.  



Yes, that's right.  I still have a ton of junk wax needs, and the mini-Bippings actually cleared a lot of those up.  

Finally, whenever I get Brewers cards from people, I tend to be able to knock a few cards off my want list for my team collection.  This time, though, I'm only highlighting cards from one guy.  It's like this guy had a machine head kept in a razor-blade suitcase, but he was so calm and collected that everything seemed pretty zen in his world.  About that, his pal Gavin has no doubt.





For some reason, those last two sentences seemed like a much better idea when I conceived them last night after several gin-and-ginger-ale drinks (with a lemon, of course, to keep things refreshing).

Well, that's one monster fought off...and yet, a note of caution came in the mail in the guise of a postcard:


The message on the front of the postcard, though, was ominous.


JBF, Gus Gus and I are ready!

4 comments:

  1. "Nobody does/did a full bleed card quite as well as Upper Deck."

    As far as the US is concerned, yes. The rest of the world? No. ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, yes...we must limit ourselves to the US. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tony,

    My name is Jeff, and I heard about your blog from reading Shoebox Legends, AKA Shane Diaz. I have a ton of things from your wantlist that are just taking up space here in New York. I would love to try to work something out, and as Shane can attest, I am extremely generous and forthcoming when it comes to reciprocating trades. Please let me know if you are interested in trading, and I collect the following:

    Don Mattingly
    Derek Jeter
    Mike Aviles
    Matt Morris
    Mark Messier
    Mats Zuccarello
    Ryan Callahan
    Brandon Dubinsky
    various hockey sets (Upper Deck Young Guns, Upper Deck Artifacts, etc.)
    various baseball sets (2007 Topps Allen and Ginter, 2012 Topps Archives, 2004 and 2007 Topps Heritage, 2005 Donruss Elite)

    PLMK!


    Jeff

    Please e-mail me at qualum23@gmail.com if you're interested in trying to work something out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot that Weiss and Santiago played for the Marlins. Have you cleared out space in your house, or purchased a storage unit yet?

    ReplyDelete