Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Trade Bait from the Monthly Card Show

Last month, I dragged about 3 or 4 posts out of a trip to my local card show. The great thing for me is that this local card show is a monthly show. I mean, check out the show's Facebook page.

So, I decided to go to the show again in October to see what I could find. 

The last time I went, I wandered around the room a bit more than the previous times that I had attended the show. For whatever reason, I still end up drawn to a table run by an older woman who has tons of "15 for $1" boxes next to the "20 for $2.50" boxes next to the "25 cents each or 200 for $20" boxes before you get to the 50 cent, $1, $2, $3, and $5 boxes. 

Okay, I think the reason that I go to that table should be obvious.

Anyway, to start dragging some more posts out of my card-show trip, I thought I would post some trade bait I picked up at the show.  All of these were either in the 15 for $1 or the 25-cent boxes, and all of them are available in trade.

Let's start in 1979: 



Back to the present, or nearly the present, with this one. Is this a "liquor-fractor" that people talked about from 2012?  Matt, let me know if you want/need this one.



I have a strange love for mid-1980s Fleer cards. Does anyone want a Carl Yastrzemski from 1983 Fleer?



These two Pinnacle cards commemorated a MLB-to-Japan series that occurred in the mid-1990s. I hadn't seen these cards before, so I grabbed them in hopes someone would like them. 




Every once in a while, I get on Twitter and lob out some sarcasm/smart-assery in response to other Tweeters. I usually stay on there until I get tired of it -- usually about 10-15 minutes or so.  But, on the night before the show, I was chatting with View from the Skybox about cards he might need. He mentioned the Blue slate sparkle cards from 2013 and asked if I could look for Royals from that set.

I didn't find any royals, but I got a now-illegal play at the plate hit from Carlos Quentin:


This last card is already going to be sent to the Dime Box King, but I had to share it because it is a strange card to me. It is slightly larger than the normal card -- not so much that it won't fit in a 9-pocket sheet, but just a little bit.  And, it's perforated.  


The card came from a book from Dover Publications, as the back of the card mentions, and it is on white, thin card stock. 
It's a great oddball if you haven't run across those Dover Publications books.

As with anything, let me know if you're interested in any of these. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. If no Padres fans claim it, I'd love that Quentin. But if Marcus or any of the other numerous Pads bloggers want it, by all means give it to them. Looking forward to seeing that Davis in person! What a strange card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't already packaged it up, Tony, go ahead and send that Davis to Mr. Owl or any of the other Dodger bloggers. Probably better in one of their hands than mine, after thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. Bummer. Would've loved that Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have that Cutch. Thanks Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to find out what book that Davis card came out of. Very cool oddball.

    ReplyDelete