Thursday, June 19, 2014

Trade Post: Need More Cardboard

Before I talk about my trade with Need More Cardboard, I have to admit that I learned something about the guy whose bins I dove into -- and whose dime boxes I ravaged.

If you've been around the industry and follow stuff about the industry, you may have heard of him.  His name is Chandy Greenholt and he is from Lewisville, North Carolina.  His real job in life was being a math teacher, but his passion has always been card collecting.  How can I say that with such certainty?  Because I found a story from 1979 in his local Lexington, North Carolina newspaper called The Dispatch.  On the front page of the July 7 sports section is a story headlined as "A Bedroom Full Of Baseball Cards."  

You see, back in 1979 at the age of 27, Chandy had squirreled away what he estimated to be 50,000-60,000 cards by that point in time in his spare bedroom.  Even back in 1979, Chandy was traveling the country looking for baseball cards at flea markets.  Indeed, Chandy is such a legend that he was the first recipient of the Collectors' Showcase of America's Lifetime Achievement Award back in 2007.  No wonder he was such a good conversationalist about cards!

So, from talking about one North Carolinian to talking about cards I received from another.  I was perusing some blogs and saw a fantastic Gary Carter manu-patch up at Need More Cardboard.  Here it is:


I left a message on the blog asking if it was available, and Andrew and I worked out a deal to send a bunch more stuff to one another.  I was quite happy to send off my Washington Nationals relics of Ryan Zimmerman, who has killed my rotisserie team with injuries and being Ryan Zimmerman for three years now...he's too good to let go cheap but not good enough to warrant the prices that get paid for him, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, it took us a little while to work stuff out since both of us were traveling and busy with work.  But, in the end, it was well worth the wait.  I got around 75 or 80 different Brewers cards in return for some stuff I never really wanted anyway!  Here's the best of the lot:




























I think that Andrew hit nearly every one of my post-1982 and pre-current team Brewers player collections with at least a couple of cards.  And then we have the awesome Steve Sparks smart-ass wave card from Collector's Choice that may be my new favorite card...well, if Joe Oliver breaking his bat in batting practice doesn't take that position.

Andrew, thank you so much for all the cards, and I hope that you have gotten and are enjoying the cards that I sent to you. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you like the cards! That Sparks is a classic! I'll (finally) be posting my trade report momentarily.

    ReplyDelete