Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Proven Mettle Trading

A couple of weeks ago, I posted the results from my 2013 Topps Series 2 case break.  I have to tell you, that was a ton of fun.  Now, if I could find some more cheaper cases, I'd probably break a couple of more...except for the fact that I now have about 3000 Topps Series 2 base set cards over and above the complete set of 330.

Anyway, one of the case hits I got from the boxes was a Joey Votto Proven Mettle coin card numbered to 99. Shortly after I posted here about it, reader Ron Miller commented that he is "trying to corner the market on Cincinnati Reds proven mettle cards" and so he offered to trade for it.  I said, sure, I'd like a Ryan Braun.

Instead, he sent me three of the Proven Mettle cards. 


First, there is this Hank Aaron, numbered 17 of 50.  If anyone proved his mettle, it was Aaron living through the abuse he took chasing Babe Ruth.  I don't always like Hank Aaron, to be fair, but this card is awesome.



Then, there was a second Milwaukee Braves player -- one of the greatest left-handed pitchers ever, Warren Spahn, numbered 32 of 50.  For some reason, the Spahn coin is much shinier than the Aaron is.  


Finally, there was the Ryan Braun card that I had requested.  Braun on the coin actually looks a bit like Ted Simmons to me.  I can't tell you why I think that, but I feel like I saw a photo once where Ted Simmons actually looked happy and it looked something like this coin.  The card is numbered 29 of 50.

In return, I sent Ron a bunch of Reds items and the Votto Proven Mettle.  I would highly recommend to any of you who are not Reds fans and who have a Reds Proven Mettle card to trade with Ron -- or send me one first, so that I can try to even out this trade with Ron. He's not a blogger, but he's a good guy who is quick to mail the items out that he promises to trade.  

Ron, thank you very much for your generosity -- I still owe you one.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, no doubt. It's definitely why I still owe Ron one or two more of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words.....I have always tried to be more than fair in all my trades....something about good karma.....and with more great people like you out there finding Reds proven mettle cards for me it seems to be working.....just remember please don't run me up on eBay....that is my main source for all things Reds....that and a bunch of family still living in Cincy!

    ReplyDelete