Friday, March 28, 2014

Hello, my name is Tony, and I am an Addict

It may come to that soon.  I have a serious addiction to those $3.99 Fairfield repacks with the unopened pack of Topps 2012 Update at the back.

I had to go to the store on the way home from work to pick up some Pepcid for our dog (seriously...she also takes Mucinex and Zyrtec, all encouraged by our vet...).  Of course, I went to Target.  When I got to the baseball cards, I looked at what was on offer.

It was all the usual stuff -- the base set Series 1 four-pack with an extra Power Player on the front, Opening Day, Heritage, leftover football, unopened sets, and 5 repacks like the one I mentioned above.  There were the other sports there too, I think, and then there was the $20 repack box of 20+ packs of baseball cards.

Like an addict, I needed a fix.  I looked around to see if anyone was looking at me, worried that someone would see.  I snatched up all five of the $4 repacks, the $20 repack box, two jumbo packs of Opening Day, and one of the Power Player packages.

To be honest, I think I like opening the repacks best.

What did I get?  Well, with that much being bought, I have a few things to show.  But let me start with just one strange card:


If my Google search/eBay search is correct (in other words, I'm probably entirely incorrect), then this card was given out at one of the National Conventions and maybe 1500 of them were printed.  People are asking -- and getting -- $9 or $10 for it on eBay.  Yet there it was behind a some 1989 Topps card in a Fairfield repack.

The other super cool thing is that these $20 repack boxes now guarantee a hit.  My hit isn't half bad, either:


This Divisional Artifact of Travis Hafner from 2007 is number 001 of 117.  Not bad at all.

I'll leave the rest of these repacks for the rest of the weekend -- there is some absolutely cool, crazy stuff in them -- but there was one card that absolutely got me angry.


Normally, I would have been ecstatic that I got this card.  I mean -- look at the Robin Yount tab above. There's no Cap'n Crunch Robin Yount to be found on that list.

The problem:  I just bought the damn thing on COMC yesterday.

Oh well.  Now I have one for my Brewers set.

4 comments:

  1. Lol, we've all been there and done that (be addicted to re-packs and obtaining a card after buying it a few days/hours/mins/seconds prior). It's all a part of the hobby that usually works out in the end, somehow.
    That Yount is still an awesome card though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice repack. That Kennedy card is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is obsessed with the Kennedy family history stuff, though she and her family are old-school Republicans of the Reagan kind. She joked that she wants this Kennedy card and one of the 2012 Mitt Romney cards framed next to one another in the house. :-)

      Delete
    2. Lol... I grew up in a Republican household and my parents were huge Reagan supporters. It wasn't until I became a teacher that I switched political parties... but I still collect Reagan stuff because it reminds me of my childhood.

      Delete